Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Role-Playing


Yes, role-playing. And we're not talking about Dungeons and Dragons. A while back, our professor encouraged us to wear a different pair of shoes for an hour and completely immerse ourselves in a new kind of educational experience. We were to play the roles of parents, concerned citizens, business owners, teachers, and counselors who are pondering a new educational system proposed by the community high school, High Stakes High. The proposed system would create a highly competitive school environment, not letting any students pass the bar if they did not meet grade standards. As I was reading this proposal, all I could think of was how horrible it sounded. I was chosen to play to role of an adamant supporter.

I was almost dreading to go to class that night. I hated the idea of the new system, and I had to be a supporter by 6PM. I was a hypothetical parent of an over-achieving, highly academic, and very bright son, and I had to start kissing the feet of this plan and quick.

After a long period of thinking how exactly I was going to pull this all off, I realized exactly what I needed to do. I needed to put myself in the position of the role that I was going to play, and look at the plan from that person's eyes. From this new perspective, I saw so many positive things about this highly-competitive school. I was completely shocked that only ten minutes previous I could not think of one saving grace that this plan had. Later that night, I played a successful devil's advocate, and learned something crucial about how people operate. We are all biased. We all have our own opinions, and most of the time, we let these opinions cloud the facts. I let my own bias cloud the fact that this proposed plan may have a few good points. I had to see it from a different person's point of view to understand that. That's what this role-playing exercise was all about.

Later on, when I am working in the field, I can remember that you have not given a fair to the other side of the table until you sit there yourself. This will prove to be extremely valuable as I will have to deal with delicate family situations, proposals to change educational plans, conflict resolution, and other matters that will require fresh points of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment